One of my March goals is to eat Paleo for a full 30 days. I suppose I could subsist on scrambled eggs for breakfast, salads for lunch, and a grilled protein + veg combo for dinner. But my husband would be grumpy (he likes variety in his meals) and I would be bored after 3 days.
This time around, I’m branching out and experimenting in my kitchen to see what Paleo-friendly meals I can create. Tonight marked my first attempt – craving italian I decided to create a Paleo lasagna. In the end it was only sorta paleo as the hubby requested a bit of cheese on top.
1 medium eggplant
4 yellow squash
1 pound of ground turkey
16 ounces of your favorite Paleo-friendly tomato sauce
1. Using a mandolin slicer, slice the eggplant into very thin slices.
2. Roast the eggplant slices for 3 to 4 minutes per side in a 350 degree oven.
3. While the eggplant roast, use the mandolin slicer to slice the squash.
4. Allow the eggplant to cool. While it cools, brown up the ground turkey (I recommended seasoning with a smidge of salt, a bigger dose of black pepper, and a few teaspoons of italian seasoning.
5. Allow the turkey to cook thru and then cool.
6. Assemble the lasagna – place a bit of sauce in the bottom of a 7 X 11 (or 9 X13) baking dish, layer with eggplant “noodles”, top with a third of the ground turkey, then layer with more sauce, squash “noodles”, and more turkey. Repeat this procedure until the dish is full.
7. Sprinkle a half of cup of mozzarella on top. Cover with aluminum foil.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes covered. Then an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
Hubby devoured not 1, not 2, but 3 servings of this dish. And that man really loves his pasta – so I was fearful that he wouldn’t like this dish. Boy was I wrong!
Your turn: What new recipes have you tried out lately? Any divine creations coming out of your kitchen lately?