I had another doctor’s appointment yesterday afternoon. At the time of the appointment, I was 37 weeks and 4 days. After the usual ritual, of weight, urine sample, and blood pressure check – my wonderful Dr. H came into the exam room.
We began by discussing the results of the cultures that she took last week. I have tested positive for Group B Strep – something that happens in roughly 25% of women. Therefore, I will be given a round of IV antibiotics during labor/delivery. Once we wrapped up our discussion, it was time for the cervical exam. And…….
Nothing. Not a single change, not a single dimple. In fact, Dr. H’s exact words were “Your cervix still has marked thickness to it.” So what does this mean for Joycelen and Mama?
At this point we are in a catch-22 situation, Joycelen is already a healthy sized baby (7.7 pounds last week, probably close to 8 pounds by now) and constantly growing. The longer we allow her to remain in utero – the larger she is going to become – which could pose problems during delivery. However, my cervix has not thinned so it is currently unfavorable for induction.
The plan at this point is to wait another week and see if something happens. Assuming there is still no change to my cervix by next week, C-section will become a serious option. So for now, it is more waiting.